Friday, December 17, 2010

Let there be LIGHT!

Let there be Light! New Star Lantern hung in my Dining Room.

From my spot on the couch as the TV blared in the background I could see the dining room starring me down...peaking from behind the french doors were the ceiling hooks, extension cords, light kits and paper star lanterns I'd purchased 3 weeks ago from Pier1 and there they sat...still just begging to be hung. My dog Monte, cast a look of disapproval from the floor, over the laziness I'd been exhibiting over the past few nights and it was at that very moment I hopped up threw on my "work" pj's and comfy boots and got to work.

If you remember from my previous posts I've been frustrated with the lack of light in my dinning room. I have a table lamp, floor lamp, and wall mounted light fixtures but no overhead light. Thus entered the summer solution  : Tissue Paper Pom Pom Ceiling Sculpture . Much to my families dismay this seemed to be to NO ONES liking or design taste but my own.  The critics have won for now.

This is about the most boring picture I've ever posted!
First I needed to find some sturdy white hooks to mount from the ceiling. The plan is to change this light fixture out throughout the season so I needed something that could change and move as my ideas changed...constantly. Next with a little table dancing, staple gun in hand, and a heck of a lot of force, I managed to get about 15 staples into my Plaster walls and down the side of the door to hold the cord in place. I plan to go back and paint the staples white, and the cord green where it meets the painted walls, but for now...from the couch in the other room...no one can see how the light is held in place!
A little hodge Podge for now but in time it will look great.
Naturally, like every project I do, there seems to be a hiccup. You'd think it was when I fell off the table and landed on the side bench...but no.  It was the fact that the light cord was all of 18 inches short from reaching the outlet.  Alas an extension cord was used and with one final shove the most beautiful light blanketed the room.

Ignore the mess below. I HAVE LIGHT! :)


I had planned to hang other lanterns but it looked too cluttered after 2 hours of messing with them, I ripped them down and went back to the original ONE. A few other pics of my Christmas tree, garland, and holiday decorations follow.  Just need to get the X-mas presents wrapped and under the tree and it will really feel like Christmas. Now back outside to shovel my 60 ft of driveway and truly enjoy home ownership and the wonderful Iowa winters! Next year I'm asking for a snow blower!

View from the Family Room into the Dining Room.
Garland over the Stair Banister.

Detail of the decorations on my X-mas Tree! Purple and Silver!

The tree and all of it's trimmings!

No comments:

Post a Comment