Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Studio Redesign

In the spirit of the holidays, guests staying over, and the cold weather that has forced me to be cooped up inside I've been rethinking how I have my studio arranged.  The space was working for me...the mess that it was - I'd just close the closet door after shoving a "few" things away and all was good to the naked eye. It had minimal furniture given that the expensive sofa sleeper I'd purchased 5 months previous had been sitting in the garage just waiting to get wet and molded until I moved it to the guest room. So this past Sunday was the day. I'd spent all morning "organizing" and "cleaning" preparing for my reluctant Father to come over and help me move the beast of a sofa sleeper up the stairs. Once he arrived he helped me realize all I'd really done was take everything out of said closet and creatively scattered it all over the interior of the room. The space actually looked much worse then when I'd started.  Isn't that usually how it works...it has to get bad before it can get better?? To show you what I mean check out the mess below...and Mom when you read this I know my closet was a mess - I'm a pack rat it's true! My sister would cringe that everything isn't labeled in see through boxes with an Excel document telling me what row or column to find the items in....
Studio when I moved in...

(Studio kiln area BEFORE)
(Glass Cutting Desk that needed to be moved into the closet.)
(Dear lord...this was the closet...yelp)
Alright so before you go judging I have to say the closet is pretty big about 8'x5' and it held a lot of stuff...too much stuff....WAY TOO MUCH STUFF. My plan was to organize as I cleaned and I just needed to get things put away and make more space to have the convertible sofa fit in the main area...this part of the closet clean out and re-organizing started over a month ago- THIS is what my Dad walked into on Sunday:
(I swear I'm not a hoarder...)
But...and a big BUT - after the closet looked great and was ready for all of my glass cutting items to be moved in! :)
(Who knew it was so BIG?!)
After a little bartering with my Dad when he arrived I convinced him that since he didn't have to help me hang Christmas lights he should probably do his fatherly duty and lug the convertible sofa up the stairs. He was not very excited about this plan considering the last thing we moved upstairs together was the 200 lb desk for the studio, during that debacle my Mom had to intervene because we both thought we knew the best way to throw it out the window out of frustration...

The sofa proved much less of a hassle and without further ado here is the studio in its new form. I still have work to do on the space inside the closet and over the kiln, a few shelves to hang and lighting to mount but I'm way too excited to wait another 4 months to post these pics (I know how long it will take me to buy screws to mount the other stuff).  One more project crossed off the list. Check out below!
(Who wouldn't want to sleep on this thing!?)

(This white night stand used to be my grinder table)

($30.00 - 200 lb Desk and Craft Area, $5.00 retro green chair)
(Desk Top - Chicken Scratch Studio)
(This door leads to the closet where my glass cutting table is - to the right is my kiln.)
(Through the closet door.)
(The rug says, "Sorry for the texts last night!" hehe)
(I think I'll take a nap! Night)
For anyone wondering my next post will be all of my Christmas decorations, and removing the "clown" of a light fixture, AKA my tissue paper chandelier, to replace it with silver hanging stars! And here's to hoping I get that posted before Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment