Friday, March 25, 2011

Trash to Treasure, Easter Flower Display


Alright guys, this week is a milestone for me, two posts in one week - wow.  I'm really getting on my craft game now that it's turning into spring outside.  This project is one of the easiest I've ever done, so if you don't have a crafty bone in your body...you too can complete this one! It's simple and for me it was virtually free.  The whole project start to finish took about 1 hour.  So go clean out your fridge and let's get started!

To start I cleaned my fridge over the weekend, and had planned to slump these glass jars in the kiln instead of putting them out in the recycling.  However I'd remembered a neat idea I'd seen using Mod Podge and food coloring and figured I could try it here! The Materials are simple, mine consisted of just a few:

1.) Cleaned glass jars, Pickle jar, salsa, jar, and pasta sauce jar - Free from the frigdge.
2.) Food Coloring, I'd recommend using NON NEON colors as mine were a bit bright for my liking.
3.) Sponge Brushes
4.) Tub to mix glue with food coloring
5.) Mod Podge
6.) Flowers (I got mine from Sam's)

Total Cost for the whole project - $10.00 flowers at Sam's was it I had all the rest!

Start by mixing the food coloring in a dish with the Mod Podge. Stir vigorously with a spoon or knife and continue adding color till you reach the darkness desired.
The colors in my NEON food coloring gel were lime green, orange, purple, and electric pink...when I realized this my project instantly became an EASTER arrangement! Once the food coloring is blended take your sponge brush and apply glue in a heavy layer all around the outside of the jar. Try to avoid dripping, and always run the brush in the same direction in even strokes.
After the Jar was painted I wanted it to have a bit more texture. So I crumpled up a napkin and dabbed over the entire surface.  You can make any pattern you like, but I thought this looked more like colored glass would. Your project at this point should look horrid...especially if you're using NEON food coloring, but I promise you - keep going the result at the end will be gorgeous!

Repeat this easy process with all of the jars you wish to paint. Let them dry for about 2 hours and your project is almost finished!
The hard part is over, even though it was pretty easy. Now just go the store and pick up some flowers, or better yet if you have some in the garden go cut them now! I can't wait for my peonies and tulips to bloom so I can make arrangements with them!

I cut the stems of each flower at varying lengths to give the jars some height and made sure to blend the colors so each jar had a good assortment of beautiful flowers.

Make sure to check my blog next week - I'll be making a spring wreath over the weekend. Michael's had a 50% off sale on grape vine wreaths and assorted flowers so of course you know I bought a cart full! Seriously though the wreaths they try to sell at the craft stores always look really tacky in my opinion and you better bet I can make one for less than $60-$80 dollars! Enjoy the finished project Trash to Treasure, Easter Flower Display below!

No comments:

Post a Comment