Monday, March 28, 2011

Doin a Snookie on the Oreo Cookie...

So I'll admit the title is a bit misleading....not even sure what "doin a snookie on an oreo cookie" would turn out looking like but Jersey Shore is a guilty pleasure of mine so I had to throw it in, and NOTHING rhymes with OREO so deal with it :)!

One of my weekend projects was to make a dessert. I finished my wreath as well and I'll post that later this week, but let's get to the sweet stuff! My friend gave me this recipe about a year ago and it is about the easiest thing I've ever made and it tastes great! People always ask for the recipe wherever I take it so here ya go.

The nice thing about this version is it doesn't use butter or cream cheese like other recipes online do, so there is a TON less fat! Let's get started.
Here are the ingredients, they include:
Mixing Bowl
Spatula
Whisk
Glass Container to layer dessert in
(1) package of Oreo cookies
(1) container of Light Coolwhip
(2) packages Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
3.5 cups of Skim Milk
And food coloring is optional

Dump (2) packages of instant pudding mix into bowl, add 3.5 cups of skim milk and stir with whisk till mixed. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow the pudding to set up.



While the pudding is setting up, put the Light coolwhip in the microwave to thaw it out. When thawed, dump the entire container of coolwhip into the pudding and mix with a spatula until well blended.

Now the fun part. Add food coloring whatever strikes your fancy and stir into the pudding until it reaches the right color.  I couldn't help myself - it seemed like a great time to draw a dinosaur face! :)

Place oreo cookies in a ziplock bag and mash or if you're too cheap to buy ziploc bags and you don't want the world to see you smash oreo's in a target sack, place the cookies into a tupperware and smash with a large spoon.


Now the tricky part. Once the entire package of oreos are smashed start layering the mixture in a clear glass container.  I chose a skinny flower vase I'd just purchased because I wanted to try something different.  Look around the kitchen and use something fun! I didn't have a ton of oreos because I'd eaten quite a few while working....so my layers are a bit messy but you can do it better yourself! Layer pudding, oreos, pudding, oreos, etc. until the whole thing is full. Finish with pudding on top and place an oreo in the center!

Take any leftover pudding and place in a glass dish and sprinkle with oreo crumbs. Place your "doing a snookie on the oreo cookie" in the fridge for 4 hours and you're ready to serve! While it chills clean up the mess you've made....Yikes my kitchen WAS clean.

Check out the pics below of my artsy green and black dessert, the whole thing only has around 10 grams of fat if you take out the oreos! Try this recipe and substitute fruit layers like strawberries or lowfat vanilla wafers to make it a healthy snack!  For more ideas of healthy cooking, and how to save while you shop visit my sister's blog @ wlstrusttheprocess.blogspot.com . Check back later this week for my Spring flower wreath project I did this past weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment