Friday, January 11, 2013

Months of wiping - makes for metal wall art

A few months back I kept seeing people on Pinterest post pics of items made out of old toilet paper rolls. Since then I've been stowing them away and waiting until I hoarded enough to make something fun. About 6 months in my stash has become overwhelming and I forced myself to create a wall hanging for my bedroom. The process is simple and easy to do, it only takes about 30 minutes and the supplies are free (or trash depending on how you look at it).

Collect all the rolls and clean off any remaining toilet paper fuzz.

Using sharp scissors cut the rolls into evenly thick smaller rolls. (I cut each cardboard roll into 5ths)

Once cut...and you'll be cutting for awhile...you'll end up with about 200 roll slices. Now its time to have some fun and arrange them.

Lay out the roll slices in a fun pattern. I've seen a lot of people bend the slices to make more of a petal shape but I wanted mine to look organic and not like flowers.

Glue all of the roll slices to each other. This process is annoying and messy but the results are great when you're finished!

Find some old spray paint in the garage that's been sitting around since college and put it to work! I coated my toilet paper roll slices about 4 times. Make sure and get a good angle while you spray so you fully cover the insides of the circles. Also avoid over-spraying or your driveway will end up with a silver square...

Admire your spray painting skills. After the paint has dried hang on the wall with one nail and call it done! Easy as pie and looks like metal wall art!





No comments:

Post a Comment